You are here
Easy Rural Broadband Deployments
Easy Rural Broadband Deployments
The Rural Digital Opportunity Fund (RDOF) initiated by the US government’s Federal Communications Commission (FCC) aims to provide adequate high-speed broadband access to rural areas. These areas fall behind the ultra-connected metropolitans across the country and this initiative is designed to bridge that gap. With the incentive of Government funding, broadband carriers are encouraged to construct and operate rural broadband networks that would meet the following targets:
- High quality broadband services to ~ 6 million rural sites:
- Primarily residential and small offices/home offices (SOHO)
- Speeds of at least 25Mbps downlink, 3 Mbps uplink
- Scalability to 1G downlink, 500Mbps uplink is desired
Future-ready technologies preferred: Providing a path to higher-tiered services with higher bandwidth and lower latency
For carriers engaged in this opportunity, there are some challenges that are unique to the deployment of broadband to rural sites:
- Difficult to reach, remote sites and issues of subscriber density and topography.
- Operational efficiency: The need to enable service verification testing, performance monitoring and diagnostics, as well as handle installation and maintenance at remote sites.
- Trusted partner: Solution provider must have a relevant portfolio and experience, and the ability to meet specific, changing needs.
|For your convenience, you can download the PDF.|
RAD Successfully addresses these Rural Broadband Challenges
RAD offers a comprehensive portfolio that successfully addresses these rural broadband challenges. Employing a wide range of technologies including point-to-point (PTP) and point-to-multipoint (PTMP) wireless, GPON/xGPON, packet optical and DWDM, as well as routing and Industrial IoT (IIoT) backhaul, RAD enables broadband providers to address any scenario under RDOF deployments.
Key deployment scenarios include:
Fixed Wireless Access Infrastructure
Ideal for low density rural areas and long-range connectivity
RAD’s solution includes a wide variety of options for licensed and unlicensed backhaul to effectively close the rural broadband gap:
- Supports all outdoor deployment
- Delivering >50M/5M per residential subscriber
- Economical pay as you grow model
GPON Access with DWDM Backhaul
Consolidated GPON/DWDM optimized for higher density rural areas
RAD enables versatile FTTH Triple Play for suburban and rural areas:
- Small form factor backhaul solutions to save on space
- Universal GPON ONT/OLT solution that eliminates vendor lock-in
- Deliver 1G/500Mb per residential subscriber
IP-VPN and LTE Wireless Access
Ideal for rural small business
RAD offers broadband carriers LTE and fiber access in a single device that enables them to quickly connect their SOHO customers:
- Cost effectively extend enterprise services into rural area
- Carrier Ethernet and routing options for business users: L2 Carrier Ethernet over a L3 VPN tunnel, or VPN access over LTE
- Shorter Time-to-Revenue by eliminating the need to wait for fiber
Secure Industrial IoT with Edge Computing
Ideal for upgrading rural infrastructure (smart grid, smart water, smart agriculture, smart roads, etc.)
RAD enables carriers to offer competitive IoT services for monitoring and automation devices, Smart City projects, and more. An all-in-one, secure IIoT backhaul gateway that features a router, firewall, LTE modem and a variety of other functionalities in a single device allows effective communication and control of many sensors with Edge Computing
- Versatile ruggedized platform fits harsh environmental conditions
- Seamless communications over fiber optics, radio links and 2G/3G/LTE cellular links
- Edge computing capabilities allows hosting of multiple container-based functions
- Zero-touch provisioning, enhanced cyber security (IPsec, PKI, FW, IDS/IPS, SIEM)
- Integrated PLC functionality and LoRaWAN® gateway reduces the number of devices in the network
- Transparent delivery of SCADA, protocol conversion and terminal server
RAD’s RDOF Solution
With a proven record of helping our customers to successfully deploy rural broadband solutions for over 40 years, RAD offers a comprehensive portfolio specifically designed to address, and even exceed, RDOF targets.
- Broad range of solutions helps overcome infrastructure obstacles
- PTP/PTMP wireless simplifies access to remote, difficult to reach sites
- L2/L3 CPE with LTE/CBRS, Fiber, GPON, VDSL Interface options
- Low-cost, operationally efficient and right-sized products ideal for rural deployment
- Simple deployment, maintenance and upgrades: Zero-touch provisioning and automation, service verification testing, monitoring and diagnostics
- Consistently reliable products and high-quality service
- Trusted partner with relevant products and experience
To learn more about RAD’s solutions for rural broadband deployments, contact us at [email protected]
- Cable operators
- Electric cooperatives
- Incumbent telephone companies
- Satellite companies
- Fixed wireless providers
- Fixed wireless access
- GPON access with DWDM backhaul
- IP-VPN and LTE wireless access
- Secure Industrial IoT with Edge Computing
The Airmux-400 radio systems incorporate advanced features, such as MIMO, OFDM and high modulation schemes. Furthermore, unique air interface capabilities ensure optimal performance and high spectral efficiency in dense radio environments and multipath conditions. This makes the Airmux-400 ideal for utilities AMI/DA backhaul, public safety and government backhaul, and transportation (highways and railways backhaul). Airmux-400 products comply with worldwide regulations and standards and are deployed globally by leading service providers, as well as operators of public and private networks requiring high-capacity connectivity.
The FibeAir IP-20 platform meets the need for any scale, in any topology and at any frequency, combined with an advanced security feature set and low-latency performance.
The FibeAir IP-20 comes in all-outdoor, split-mount and all-indoor configurations supporting 6.86 GHz frequency range.
The DXC-5 reduces operational costs by using a single platform for all service requirements. Critical infrastructure network operators choose the DXC-5 as it coexists with legacy cross connects, then seamlessly replaces them when they reach end-of-life status, allowing the addition of new services and bandwidth capacity. DXC-5’s transport flexibility ensures that services are matched to the best technology to meet their requirements. By performing service multiplexing over packet, DS1-level TDM switching and DWDM in the same device, it reduces the transport cost per bit and ensures mission-critical reliability with minimal latency.
The ETX-2 is MEF Carrier Ethernet 2.0-certified for E-Line, E-LAN, E-Tree, and E-Access services, as well as delivering TDM pseudowire over packet networks. Supporting high capacity service provisioning per EVC/EVC.CoS, flexible classification and H-QoS traffic management, it also performs accurate and scalable service testing and performance monitoring. The ETX-2 is supported by RADview management and enables a variety of protection mechanisms. It also offers NEBS-compliant and environmentally hardened enclosure options.
The Megaplex-4’s ability to handle a broad range of Ethernet, data and voice services, as well as a large variety of network technologies, in a single compact managed node, makes it an ideal solution for carriers and service providers. The device also provides a perfect fit for large enterprises, utilities and transportation companies who require an efficient way to transport and provision multiple legacy and next-generation services over their high capacity pipes. Megaplex-4 can be used as a central aggregation unit for TDM and Ethernet CPEs that are connected over various access link technologies, e.g., HSDSL and SDH/SONET.
The Megaplex-4 is available with a cable management solution to reduce storage space and handling, and eliminate cable waste.
PacketLight solutions are ideal for a variety of vertical markets, such as carriers, ISPs, dark fiber providers, data centers, storage facilities, utility companies (railway and power companies), and financial institutions. The wide range of PacketLight xWDM and dark fiber solutions includes:Multi Service muxponders and transponders amplification and diagnostics: Our muxponders support flexabile mix of services 10G/40G/100G Ethernet, 8G/16G/32G FC, SDH with 200G Uplink sub 10G services aggregated to an OTU2. 400G transponders. Layer-1 Optical Encryption – full end-to-end transparency, without degradation to the link performance, switch agnostic, FIPS 140-2 Level 2 and CC EAL2+.
PowerFlow-2 is ideal for operational networks of power utilities, railways, traffic controllers, and safe city applications requiring advanced Ethernet functionality and power over Ethernet (PoE) support.
Allowing secure connectivity over wireless or fiber networks – either public (e.g., cellular) or private, the SecFlow-1v connects all types of industrial devices, including RTUs, smart meter aggregation devices, IoT base stations or concentrators, CCTV cameras, point-of-sale devices, WiFi base stations, and more.